Immigration to Switzerland | Complete Guide on Work and Residence Permit

Immigration to Switzerland | Complete Guide on Work and Residence Permit

Show Video

Switzerland boasts one of the most robust  economies in the world with a workforce   that is highly skilled. Each year, the number  of employees entering the country is closely   regulated by the Swiss government. The standard  of living is extremely high, it is ideal for   expats who want to relocate and take up a new  position. Salaries in Switzerland are also   amongst the highest with great working conditions  in the world. It is a very welcoming country, with   25% of its population being foreign individuals.  English is a widely spoken language, and there  

are great career opportunities, a developed  infrastructure and beautiful, scenic nature.  One of the best ways to immigrate to Switzerland  is through work permits, most foreign nationals   require a permit to work in Switzerland. The  procedure for obtaining a permit depends on   your nationality and type of employment. If  you are among qualified non-EU/EFTA nationals,  

for example managers, specialists or university  graduates with years of professional experience,   you can work in Switzerland. You require a  work permit, even for short-term employment.  You should also notice that the number  of permits issued is limited. A work   permit may also be issued for self-employment.  Spouses of Swiss nationals or of persons with a   settlement or residence permit do not require  a work permit. To obtain Swiss citizenship,   you must live in the country for 10 consecutive  years and have a permanent residence permit. 

If you want to know how to immigrate to  Switzerland via a work and residence permit,   stay tuned until the end of this video. [Music] [Applause] [Music] [Applause] Welcome back everybody, thanks   for watching. My name’s Ahmadreza and here in  Persia Global, we help those who are in search   of better opportunities to work, live or  study abroad. In today’s video, I’m going   to share Switzerland work and residence permit,  different types of Switzerland visas & permits,   requirements & procedures to apply  for work and residence permit,   and finally how to get permanent  residency and Swiss citizenship. If you come from a non-EU/EFTA country  and would like to work in Switzerland,   you may only do so if you are highly qualified,  like when you are a manager, specialist or other   skilled professionals. This means, essentially,  that you should have a degree from a university   or an institution of higher education, as well as  a number of years of professional work experience,   language skills and a suitable age. If you are planning to stay in Switzerland  

for several years, you will also have to  fulfil certain other criteria that will   facilitate your long-term professional  and social integration. The key factors   here for longer stays are your professional and  social adaptability, language skills and age.  In your work permit application, the most  important part is that your future employer   must prove that there is no suitable person  to fill the job vacancy from Switzerland or   from an EU/EFTA country. Also, the salary, social  security contributions and the terms of employment   for foreign workers must be in accordance  with conditions customary to the region,   the profession and the particular  sector. Switzerland is divided into   26 different areas called cantons. A canton  is similar to a state in the United States;  

the individual municipalities and cantons are very  free, and for attracting foreign immigrants they   make independent decisions too, and therefor  this has both advantages and disadvantages.  Language is the key to successful integration  when it comes to get permanent residence and   then apply for Swiss citizenship. In fact, there  are four languages widely spoken in Switzerland,   and English language could still suffice for your  employment. The majority of the population lives   in the German-speaking part of Switzerland. About  65 percent of the population speaks Swiss-German.  

About 20 percent French, 8 percent Italian,  and some 45 percent of the Swiss population   speaks English regularly. English language use  is more widespread in German-speaking Switzerland   than in the Italian and French-speaking regions.  So, for applicants with English language abilities   German-speaking regions of Switzerland have more  jobs vacancies with English language requirement. 

For long-term stays (more than three months) in  Switzerland you are subject to get authorization   like a work permit in case of gainful employment  and a residence permit for family reunification.  So, anyone wishing to work in Switzerland needs  to have a work permit before taking up gainful   employment. Beside a valid work permit,  in the case of people requiring a visa,   like third countries nationals, a valid visa is  also necessary for entry. So, for you to enter   the Swiss labor market, you firstly need to find  an employer with an employment contract, then you   and your employer should file an application for  work permit, to enter the country, you also need   to apply for a visa, after your entry you or your  employer need to register for a residence permit. There are 8 types of residence permits available  in Switzerland, three of them are more issued for   highly qualified persons that allow them to  work and live, I explain them here for you. 

L residence permit; is a short-term permit issued  for both EU/EFTA or third country nationals,   this permit is temporary and  issued for less than a year.  B residence permit; is a limited  permit, but issued for over one   year it’s also issued for both either  EU/EFTA or third country nationals.  C residence permit or settlement permit;  is indefinite and unconditional permit   is also issued for both either  EU/EFTA or third country nationals.  There are also other permits named G, N, f,  ci & S; they are mainly issued for temporary   residence or asylum seekers in Switzerland  that are not the subject of this video. So, as I mentioned, third country nationals are  also allowed entry to the Swiss labor market,   but they have to fulfill some  extra preconditions. Here,   in the following explanations, I’m going  to clarify the most important admission or   approval criteria so that you can understand  the requirements for obtaining a work permit   from the Swiss authorities and can submit a  comprehensive and well-supported application. 

The first criteria to consider for approval  of third-state nationals to the Swiss labor   market is that applicants must explain  and document why their admission is in the   overall economic interest for Switzerland,  to prove this you can narrow down your job   search in job vacancies with less percentage  of unemployment rate that I’ll explain more   about this issue in the rest of the video. Another important consideration is that   admissions of non-EU and non-EFTA state nationals  are limited. The Federal Council determines the   maximum numbers in the Ordinance on Admission,  Period of Stay and Employment on an annual   basis. So, the number of work permits issued  to the third country nationals in Switzerland   is restricted and for this factor the job  opportunities are more competitively available.

Another point to consider is that third  country nationals are only authorized when   no Swiss or EU/EFTA national is available for  the job advertised. Third-state nationals can   be admitted only if it is not possible  to recruit a person who qualifies for   precedence from the labor market in  Switzerland or in an EU/EFTA country.   Precedence is initially given to Swiss  nationals, and then foreign nationals with   a residence permit like a (Permit C), foreign  nationals with temporary admission Permit F,   etc. So, vacant positions must be registered  with the regional employment centers (RAV)   and advertised via the European Employment System  (EURES); here, employers must also demonstrate to   the authorities that a search via the recruitment  channels used in the sector was unsuccessful. What the job registration requirement with  the regional employment centers (RAV) means   for employers and jobseekers is that in addition  to the precedence or priority given to applicants   from Switzerland or from countries with which  a free movement agreement has been concluded,   notice must be given to regional employment  agencies of certain job vacancies. 

The obligation to give notice of vacant  positions applies to those professions,   areas of activity or economic regions in  which the national unemployment rate is   five percent or higher. The State Secretariat for  Economic Affairs SECO annually updates the list   of professions that are subject to the obligation  to give notice. So, if your job is listed with an   unemployment rate under 5 percent, your employer  doesn’t need to give a notice to RAV & you   as a third country national has stronger  chance to enter into Swiss labor market. Salary and employment conditions are also  customary in the region and sector; Salary,   social security contributions and employment  terms for foreign workers must accord with local,   professional and sectoral conditions.  Some sectors lay down these conditions  

in a collective employment agreement, which is  legally binding at national or at least cantonal   or local government level. The authorities  also carry out checks on salary and working   conditions to ensure that foreign employees are  not exposed to unlawful working conditions and   that workers already in Switzerland are protected  from wage dumping. So, good news is that foreign   employees have a right to the same salary and  the same working conditions as Swiss nationals. Another criterion to consider gaining  approval for Swiss labor market and work   permit acquisition is based on  personal requirements & qualifications;  You should know that most admissions or  work permits are limited to managers,   specialists and other highly qualified workers.  ‘Qualified workers’ primarily means individuals   with a degree from a university or  university of applied sciences who   also have several years of professional  experience. Depending on the profession   or the field of specialization, individuals  with special training and several years of   professional experience may also be admitted. In addition to professional qualifications,  

certain integration criteria must be taken into  account when granting work and residence permits:   a person’s professional and social adaptability,  language skills and age must suggest that they   can become sustainably integrated into the  Swiss employment market and Swiss society.  Qualifications are checked on basis of a  person’s CV, their education certificates   and their employment references. The authorities  require copies of documents in their original   language as well as translations into one of  Switzerland’s official language or English.  If the foreign education or professional training  system is significantly different from that of   Switzerland, it is helpful for the authorities  if documents contain additional information   about the training institution and the length  and content of training (e.g., curriculum,   training certificates on examination subjects  taken and results obtained, etc.). If your job is  

among regulated professions like health, teaching,  law, social work and technical professions,   your degree or certificates need to be recognized  by the appropriate agencies in Switzerland that   I’ll explain about it in the following. You also need a suitable accommodation;   foreign nationals may only be admitted in order  to work if suitable accommodation for them & their   family members is available. pppppppppppp   There are some exceptions you do not need a   work permit to go through an additional  permit process to become self-employed   or take up employment. Exceptions to the  work permit requirements are management   or specialist transfers in international  companies, for internships and training   and further education in multi-national  companies in cases like knowledge transfer,   etc., doctoral / post-doctoral students, family  members of Swiss nationals and those holding   residence permits, an au pair arrangement that  involves the temporary admission of young foreign   nationals who arrive in Switzerland to improve  their language skills and expand their general   education through better knowledge of the host  country and finally for employment following study   in Switzerland that applies only to degrees from  recognized Swiss higher education institutions.   

So, let’s see what’s the application  procedure for Switzerland work permit.  The first step is the application submission that  starts with your employer. Your employer submits   the application documents to the cantonal  employment or local immigration authority.   Employees requiring a visa must also submit an  application to the Swiss representation abroad   that is responsible for their place of residence. The next step is the application screening,   the competent cantonal authority, employment  or immigration office screens applications   on the basis of the Foreign Nationals and  Integration Act and takes a preliminary   decision. Applications approved by the canton  must be submitted to SEM for final approval.  After first preliminary approval, the final  application screening is processed by State   Secretariate for Migration or SEM that reviews  applications according to admission criteria   that apply to the whole of Switzerland. The  applicant and employer as well as the cantonal  

authorities receive the official decision from  SEM, which is subject to a fee that is payable   by the employer. This official decision does not  permit the employee to enter Switzerland yet.  To enter the country, the Issuance of visa is  done by the cantonal immigration authority that   issues electronic visa authorization to the  Swiss representation or embassy abroad for   those who require a visa, based on SEM's  approval. The visa can then be collected   from the embassy in your home country. The last step to take is done by you,   you register with the competent authority at  your place of residence in Switzerland within 14   days of entering the country. In fact, you can  only begin to work after you have registered. so, what are the application documents  that are required for a work permit. 

The State Secretariat for Migration and the  cantonal employment services will only process   applications if they are submitted in full. You  & your employer should submit general documents,   documents of precedence, personal  requirements, reason for the   application & salary and employment conditions. • For general applications you need to fill in an   application form; Most cantons make the forms  available on their own websites. Some cantons   allow online applications; • Copy of passport;  • For precedence, confirmation that  vacancy is advertised by the regional   employment office (RAV) and within the  EURES system (notify your RAV advisor);  • Copies of job advertisements published in  professional journals, national weekly or daily   newspapers in Switzerland, specialist online  portals and social media (such as LinkedIn);  • Information on other job search efforts in  Switzerland and the EU/EFTA area (as customary   in the respective sector); • Also, confirmation from   an appointed employment agent; • Information on applications   received and reasons that they cannot be  considered (RAV offices can provide the   relevant questionnaires, for example); • For personal requirement,   a Curriculum vitae in tabular form; • Proof of qualifications such as   education certificates and references; • Copies of documents in original language,   as well as certified translations if the  documents are not in one of Switzerland’s   official languages or English; • Documents for reasons   the vacancy must be filled; • Job description or duties of the position   to be filled, and information on the company; • For salary and employment conditions,   contract of employment (must be  signed at least by the employer;   this is considered binding by the authorities),  or employee transfer confirmation from the   foreign employer, stating salary, expat  allowances and expenses arrangements.

In addition to the documents I mentioned, you may  also need to go through the recognition process   of Foreign Diplomas or professional recognition  that is required to obtain the right to work in   a certain field. Professional recognition differs  between regulated and non-regulated professions.  For Regulated Professions; Regulated occupations or professions   are subject to legal restrictions  and requirements. As such, they can   only be carried out by holders of specific  qualifications (e.g., degree, certificate,   proficiency credentials) or titles. In such cases,  official recognition of a foreign qualification   must be obtained from the appropriate agency. Professions in the following fields of work   are regulated: • health  • teaching • technology  • law • social work  that you can also find a link in the description  section of video for further details.

For Non-regulated Professions; In Switzerland, no official   recognition of foreign qualifications  or degrees is required for professions   in unregulated fields of work. Here, the  recognition is entirely up to the employer.  Swiss ENIC can issue a level  confirmation/evaluation for foreign   university qualifications which give access  to non-regulated professions, provided that   a similar university course or diploma is offered  by a Swiss university that is also free of charge. For the last part of the video as I mentioned  we will see how you can get Swiss Permanent   Residency and Citizenship; after you have  lived in Switzerland for 10 continuous years,   you will be eligible to apply for a Swiss  Permanent Residence Permit (C Permit). Once   you are a permanent resident, and have lived  in Switzerland for 10 years, you can also   apply to become naturalized as a Swiss citizen.  Previously, the required residency period before  

becoming eligible for naturalization was 12 years. You may be eligible to apply for Swiss permanent   residence or citizenship earlier  in particular cases. For example,   if you are the spouse of a Swiss national  or a second-generation child resident.  If you are an EU/EFTA national, you  can apply for permanent residence   or citizenship after only 5 years. Both Swiss permanent residence and   citizenship offer a lot of the same benefits.  For example, you will no longer have any  

restrictions when it comes to employment  – you can work for whoever you want and   change jobs as you like. You can buy property  without restriction, open your own business,   and live wherever you want in Switzerland. You  would also have access to social assistance and   welfare benefits, same as a Swiss citizen. However, the added benefit of being a Swiss  

citizen is that it gives you the right  to vote and to stand for public office,   which you do not have when you have  a permanent residence permit. But the   procedure of becoming a Swiss citizen is longer.  Swiss citizenship also brings more obligations,   such as having to do military service (applicable  only to men aged 18 to 34.) pppppppppppppppppp Thanks again for watching this video, I hope  it could help you get valuable information on   your immigration journey to Switzerland, there  are also other helpful videos in our channel,   in different playlists, please do not forget  to subscribe and hit the notification bell.  

in Persia Global, we are going to help  applicants who are in search of better   opportunities to work, relocate or study abroad. Roy Bennet, the author of the light in the heart   says “The past is a place of reference, not  a place of residence; the past is a place of   learning, not a place of living.” Until next video,  Cheers, Over and out   [Music]

2023-03-28 23:40

Show Video

Other news